News

McIlroy Drops Five Back After Grinding Second Round at BMW Championship

Jack Hartman
Jack Hartman
·3 min read

From Co-Leader to Five Back in 24 Hours

What a difference a day makes at Bellerive. Rory McIlroy walked off the course Friday evening already planning an afternoon date with the driving range after watching his share of the lead evaporate during a grinding second round at the BMW Championship.

The Masters champion, who lit up St. Louis with a brilliant six-under 66 on Thursday, couldn't find that same magic in round two. His one-under 69 was far from a disaster, but in a week where the soft conditions are inviting low scores, treading water means losing ground.

And lose ground he did—five shots worth, to be exact. McIlroy now sits at seven-under, trailing sole leader Wyndham Clark by five heading into the weekend.

Clark Running Away With It?

While McIlroy was scrambling to save pars, Clark was putting on a clinic in bogey-free golf. The 32-year-old American is the only player in the entire field who hasn't dropped a shot through 36 holes—a remarkable feat given the pressure of FedExCup Playoff golf.

Clark's flawless approach has him sitting pretty at 12-under, one clear of Gary Woodland, who's riding some serious home-state momentum at 11-under. JJ Spaun lurks at 10-under, with Sungjae Im and Chris Gotterup tied at nine-under.

Patrick Cantlay and amateur sensation Michael Thorbjornsen share eighth at eight-under, while Collin Morikawa joins McIlroy and Russell Henley in a logjam at seven-under.

McIlroy's Honest Assessment

I've always appreciated McIlroy's candor after rounds, and Friday was no exception. He didn't make excuses about conditions shifting on him.

"I feel like conditions were pretty similar to yesterday," McIlroy told the Golf Channel. "The wind was coming out of a different direction, but still very scorable. The greens are soft."

Translation: the course was there for the taking, and he just didn't take it.

The difference came down to ball-striking. McIlroy acknowledged he "didn't quite hit it as good" as Thursday, which is why he's planning to spend Saturday afternoon on the range before Sunday's final round.

Silver Linings in the Scramble

Here's the thing about McIlroy's round that shouldn't get lost in the leaderboard math—he showed some serious grit when things weren't clicking. His only bogey came on the par-five eighth hole, which he described as a mistake. But the back nine featured several clutch par saves that kept his round from really going sideways.

"I'm proud of how I just hung in there," he said. "A lot of good par putts on the back nine, especially. That sort of kept me in it."

Kept him in it might be generous given the five-shot deficit, but McIlroy's won enough times from off the pace to know that weekend fireworks can erase Thursday and Friday struggles in a hurry.

What About the Rest of the International Contingent?

It's not just McIlroy among the Europeans finding St. Louis tough sledding. Justin Rose sits at four-under, a full eight shots back. Robert MacIntyre and Matt Fitzpatrick are tied at three-under, while Alex Fitzpatrick and Tommy Fleetwood are further back at two-under. Aaron Rai rounds out the notable Brits at one-under.

This has an American flavor so far, with Clark, Woodland, and Spaun holding down the top three spots.

Weekend Outlook

Five shots is a lot to make up, but it's far from insurmountable—especially for a player of McIlroy's caliber who's already captured a major this season. The real question is whether Clark can maintain his bogey-free streak under weekend pressure, or if that flawless golf opens the door for chasers.

McIlroy needs to find whatever he lost between rounds one and two, and that range session Saturday afternoon might be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Key Takeaways

  • Clark's bogey-free golf through 36 holes puts him in commanding position at 12-under
  • McIlroy's scrambling saved a round that could have been much worse
  • Five shots back isn't ideal, but the Masters champion has rallied from worse
  • Soft conditions mean low scores are still available—expect weekend fireworks
Jack Hartman

About the Author

Jack Hartman

A keen golfer and huge fan of the game, Jack has been covering golf for the last five years. Bringing you all the latest coverage and news from the PGA, LIV, LPGA and DP World Tours, never before has golf been so popular and Jack can't wait to bring all the excitement to his readers.

View all articles →